Therapy for Anxiety
Is anxiety taking over your life? Does it feel like you can’t control it no matter how hard you try? Have you already tried therapy but found it ineffective?
If this sounds like you, I’m confident I can help!
Anxiety is actually a natural and helpful biological reaction to stress or danger. It is helpful to be fearful when there is something to truly be fearful about, like a bear coming into your campsite. Anxiety in response to stress like an upcoming assignment or meeting can even improve your performance. However, our systems can become oversensitive to perceiving stress and danger and begin to trigger anxiety too often and much more than needed. And that, can be really uncomfortable.
Through therapy I offer an integrative treatment approach that helps you befriend the parts of you that believe anxiety is helpful or necessary to navigate through situations. I help you learn about your body and mind, as well as what is occurring in your brain during anxious times. This learning, combined with specific anxiety reducing skills, will help you calm your nervous system.
Anxiety is often experienced as:
- Nervousness, restlessness or being tense
- Feelings of danger, panic, or dread
- Rapid breathing or hyperventilation
- Increased or heavy sweating
- Trembling or muscle twitching
- Weakness or fatigue
- Nausea or stomach aches
- Difficulty focusing or thinking clearly about anything other than the thing you’re worried about
- Difficulty remembering or recalling information
- Insomnia or waking with a feeling of panic/fear
- Difficulty letting things go
- Anxiety or distressing memories surrounding a particular life event or experience that has occurred in the past
Therapy can help you uncover the underlying causes of your worries and fears, learn how to relax, look at situations in a new, less frightening way, and develop better coping mechanisms and problem-solving skills.
If you suffer from anxiety, I invite you to connect with me today for confidential, professional therapy either in person or via Telehealth from wherever you are in the state of Florida.